Autor Thema: Designs on Dr. Fred  (Gelesen 209 mal)

Walmaker

• kleiner Tentakelsaugknopf
    • Profil anzeigen
Designs on Dr. Fred
« am: 04. Juni 2024, 14:20:52 »
Hey, I was thinking of doing my own redesign of Dr. Fred because, well, when I posted art featuring Fred to certain discord servers, people kept comparing him to Eustace from Courage the Cowardly dog, scratchansniff from Animaniacs and I wouldn't be surprised if people starting comparing him to the mad scientist from Nightmare before Christmas (I never watched the film, sorry). I just want the characters to stand out from different media, even the design I did for Nurse Edna stands out by colour and silhouette but at the same time sticks to her source material.

On one hand, people in the MM community can easily identify Dr. Fred by the bald head, glasses and large head mirror and I want to stay true to the original designs from both games.

On the other hand, Maniac Mansion sadly isn't a very popular game and a lot of people don't understand what it is, they'll probably also think that Fred is generic at first glance, even by silhouette (and Bernard has a more unique one).

There is one thing I'm certain to change is the skin colour back to blue from MM to help make them stand out but I'm still thinking on what I should do, I want to redesign him to stand out but I don't want to alienate him from the community.

Do you guys have any ideas?

alphawolf300

• kleiner Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
Re: Designs on Dr. Fred
« Antwort #1 am: 04. Juni 2024, 15:24:59 »
Hm. Can you share some of your Dr. Fred-Designes? I didn't know Eustace by now, but I can see the similarity.
In my Opionion Dr. Freds Chin is not that big and more edgy. The nose looks very different.

What you can do is to show Fred with blue and normal skin tone side by side. Headline: "When Dr. Fred got blue"  :-\

And have a look at the concept Art which looks different to me: https://mixnmojo.com/galleries/full/full20090102154426.jpg
« Letzte Änderung: 04. Juni 2024, 15:31:23 von alphawolf300 »

Walmaker

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #2 am: 04. Juni 2024, 16:48:43 »
If I'll be honest, my designs are just the same as the DotT design but with a slightly different lab coat. Again, I feel like I've gotten too attached to the current design to the point where doing major changes will seem really off. I guess I can try the same design with blue skin and see what happens.

alphawolf300

• kleiner Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #3 am: 04. Juni 2024, 20:00:09 »
Did you know Darthconan colored Fred blue in Episode 64:

Walmaker

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #4 am: 04. Juni 2024, 22:50:01 »
Yeah, I know.